Dougie MacLean reveals the stellar line up for the 9th Perthshire Amber Festival
Headline acts including award winning songwriter Karine Polwart, Capercaillie’s Karen Matheson and AMWWF (Anderson, McGinty, Webster, Ward and Fisher) and an exciting new collaboration known as The MacLean Project are all among the impressive line-up announced today (8 May). They’ll perform, amongst over 300 musicians, at the ten-day music festival, which takes place at venues across Perthshire from 25 October to 3 November.
Thousands of music fans travel to the festival, which has established itself as an important part of the Scottish festival calendar, with visitors coming from 22 countries in 2012 to enjoy the best in Scottish, folk and world music and a very warm Perthshire welcome.
Legendary singer songwriter Dougie MacLean who proudly collected a lifetime achievement from the BBC Folk Awards earlier this year, is the festival host and performs his crowd pleasing songs at various concerts during the festival. The festival is the brainchild of Dougie and his wife, Festival Director Jennifer MacLean.
Dougie MacLean explains:
"I have played at a lot of festivals in 39 years as a musician and I always thought ‘wouldn’t it be nice to bring the musician friends that I’ve made over the years to play in my home region?’. Perthshire is especially remarkable to visit in the autumn time and I’m always very proud to bring new people to the area as well as welcome back many old friends to the stage and the audience."
"I really hope this year’s line-up will enthuse people as much as it has the festival team – we feel there will be a very fresh and exciting vibe in Perthshire this autumn. It’s going to be a great one and I can’t wait."
Other festival highlights will include:
- Musical legend Buddy Macdonald from Cape Breton in Canada and rising talent from Seattle, USA SeaStar, among others, performing at the Dougie MacLean with Friends Concert in Perth Concert Hall.
- Ross Ainslie and Jarlath Henderson playing at Pitlochry Town Hall.
- Stunning instrumentalists Tim Edey and Charlie McKerron performing with Dougie MacLean in Dunkeld Cathedral.
- The Hazey Janes performing in Aberfeldy Town Hall.
The festival hub returns to the picturesque village of Dunkeld once more with Open Mic Sessions, pub sessions and Cabaret Amber all taking place there, adding to the fantastic festival atmosphere. As ever, the festival team work hard to find unusual and quirky venues and in addition to the old favourites like the Iron Age Crannog and Castle Menzies, Murthly Castle Chapel and Butterstone Village Hall will also host special concerts this year.
A full programme can be found on the festival website www.perthshireamber.com and tickets go on sale from the website or on the ticket hotline 01350 724 281 from 4pm on Tuesday 14 May.
Notes to Editors:
- Dougie MacLean OBE is one of Scotland's finest songwriter-composers, internationally renowned for his song 'Caledonia', music for 'Last of the Mohicans' and inspired performances worldwide - from New York's Carnegie Hall to London's Festival Theatre and The Sydney Opera House.
- MacLean's songs have been covered by Paolo Nutini, Amy MacDonald, Ronan Keating, Mary Black, Frankie Miller, Cara Dillon, Kathy Mattea and many other top performers. He's recently received two prestigious Tartan Clef Awards, a place in the Scottish Music Hall of Fame and an OBE in the 2011 New Year Honours list. ‘Caledonia’ was recently voted one of Scotland’s best loved songs on the ITV Show ‘Scotland’s Greatest Album’. Earlier this year Dougie was awarded a Lifetime Achievement Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to song writing in the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards 2013.
- The Perthshire Amber Festival is grateful to the following funders and supporters: Creative Scotland; Caledonia Best; Perth & Kinross Council; Edradour Distillery; Bell &Co Chartered Accountants; Dicksons of Perth; VisitScotland; Scotmid; Co-op; Palmerstons, Dunkeld; The Royal Hotel Dunkeld; Drinkmonger and all the local businesses who offer support through the PALS scheme.
- Dates for Perthshire Amber 2013 Friday 25th October - Sunday 3rd November go to www.perthshireamber.com for more information or to book tickets